How Much Does Surfshark Cost?
Surfshark is one of our top choices for VPNs, and its pricing can’t be beat.
- No-logs VPN company based in the Virgin Islands
- Allows unlimited connections, double VPN, and split tunneling
- Choice of OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2P2, Shadowsocks & more
Surfshark routinely graces our lists of the top VPNs due to its combination of security and speed. Of course, we also care about pricing, which is why we researched the costs associated with Surfshark to find out if it’s really worth the money.
Surfshark VPN Subscription Options
Each Surfshark VPN plan offered the same features for an unlimited number of devices. The cost ranged from $2.49 to $12.95 a month, depending on the term length.
|Months in contract||Monthly cost||Total amount billed||Annual price after first billing period|
As the term length increased, the price decreased. Surfshark’s longest subscription costs only $2.49 per month for a two-year package. Compared to BlackVPN’s pricing and IVPN’s pricing, both of which start at about $6 per month, Surfshark is quite the steal. To learn more about other options, check out our BlackVPN review as well as our IVPN review, both of which contain sections on subscription options.
KEEP IN MIND: If you subscribe to Surfshark’s two-year plan, renewing your subscription will cost $59.76 annually after the two-year plan expires, meaning the price will double. While we were a little annoyed that we couldn’t just renew our two-year subscription at the same price, the plan still ended up being cheaper than the six-month and one-month contracts.
Surfshark’s Best Features
We think Surfshark is a great VPN, as detailed in our Surfshark review. If you’re not familiar with the VPN itself, here’s why we love it so much:
- Privacy jurisdiction: Since Surfshark is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands, a non-member to international surveillance alliances, the U.S government can’t force it to hand over our data.
- Logging policy: Surfshark keeps only the minimal amount of information necessary to uphold our account, never logging our web traffic.
- Split tunneling: We connected to public and private networks simultaneously with Surfshark, encrypting all our web activity.
- Low prices: Starting at less than $3 a month, Surfshark ranks better than most VPNs with the same features (not to mention its seven-day free trial VPN).
- Torrenting: For the film buffs out there, you’ll appreciate getting to torrent movies and television shows using Surfshark to protect your identity. Read our guide on how to use a VPN to torrent.
- Netflix: We hopped over to the U.K. Netflix while connected to Surfshark, which allowed us to catch up on TV shows not available on the U.S version using a U.K. IP address.
- An effective app: We love that Surfshark has an app for both Android and iOS users that works just as effectively on each. Many other VPNs we’ve reviewed, like VPN Secure and Mozilla VPN, suffer from lower app ratings, as you can see in our VPNSecure review and our Mozilla VPN review. That’s not the case with Surfshark. Surfshark’s iOS app boasts a 4.4-star rating, and its Android app has a 4.0-star rating.
- Unlimited and simultaneous connections: Surfshark allowed us to connect to as many devices as we wanted, with no limit on simultaneous connections.
- GPS changing: Surfshark is the only VPN we’ve reviewed that allows us to change our Android’s location within the app. If you’re looking for a VPN that allows you to change your GPS location rather than just your IP address, look no further.
- Double VPN: Surfshark allowed us to connect to two VPN servers at once, which is called multi-hop. Doing so hid our true location and, in some cases, improved our connection speeds. Multi-hop is a great option for activists or journalists who want to protect their sources or information. However, we don’t recommend multi-hop for peer-to-peer downloads, casual internet usage, or streaming, since it can slow down your computer.
FROM THE PROS: Sometimes, we want to catch a Snapchat filter from a different part of the world while we’re on our couch in Manhattan. The easiest way to change your location on Snapchat is by purchasing a Surfshark subscription. It’s the only VPN we’ve reviewed that allows us to change our GPS location on Android.
|Service||VPN (1 month)||VPN (2 years)||Surfshark One (2 years)|
|Term length||1 month||2 years||2 years|
|Price per month||$12.95||$2.49||$3.98|
|Total amount billed||$12.95||$59.76||$95.52|
|Annual price after the first billing period||$155.40||$59.75||$95.52|
In addition to its VPN service, Surfshark also offered an add-on subscription bundle called Surfshark One, which included three cybersecurity features: Surfshark Alert, Search, and Antivirus. The Surfshark One add-on costs $1.49 a month if you bundle it with any of the VPN plans. Here’s what each cybersecurity features cover:
- Surfshark Alert: Did you know that in 2020, it took an average of 280 days to identify and contain a data breach? That’s nearly a year of stolen credentials floating around the web.
But we could have found out about data breaches sooner with Surfshark Alert, which would’ve scanned the entire internet for our email addresses. Sure, that’s not as comprehensive as the best identity theft protection services; it doesn’t offer credit monitoring, identity restoration, or dark web monitoring, for example. But it’s better than nothing.
- Surfshark Search: Advertisements above the organic search results can be annoying and can affect what we end up clicking on. In fact, the first link that appears in the search engine results page receives 28.5 percent of the clicks, and many times, that link is an ad. If you dislike ads as much as we do, consider Surfshark Search, which gets rid of ads so all the search results are as organic as your local farmer’s market.
- Antivirus: Another service we subscribed to is antivirus protection. We loved that this complete subscription package allowed us to protect our personal information and safeguard our devices.
Note that after the first two years, you’ll have to pay another $95.52 for the next year of service, meaning that the price doubles. It was a bit annoying that we couldn’t purchase these services separately, but they’re a good idea if you need antivirus software, safe search, and some level of identity theft protection.
Worried about secure online payments for your VPN connection? Consider which payment option is the best for your information security. Depending on the payment method, the company can get more or less information about the customers themselves. For example, Bitcoin would be a better option for the super privacy-concerned, as it doesn’t include any third-party financial institutions and uses cryptography to secure payments. We used a regular old Visa to pay for Surfshark, but here are some other options:
- Major credit cards including Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Discover
- Google Pay
- Amazon Pay
- Cryptocurrency including Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Ripple
TIP: For the most privacy, pay for Surfshark using cryptocurrency as opposed to a more traditional method like Visa or Mastercard.
We didn’t end up needing to cancel Surfshark, as we liked the service so much, but if we had to, we would’ve simply emailed [email protected] or contacted customer support via live chat, and a rep would’ve stopped our recurring payments and canceled our VPN.
Surfshark: Is There A Free Trial?
Let’s back up. If you want to try out Surfshark for free as we did, it offers a seven-day trial; we didn’t even have to put a card down. Once the trial ended, we bought a two-year subscription, which, by the way, comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. So all in all, we got 37 days to test out Surfshark virtually risk-free. During those 37 days, we got to enjoy all of Surfshark’s features with no limits. This is pretty generous, as some free VPNs have limits on the amount of bandwidth we could use, but not Surfshark.
When it comes down to it, monthly subscriptions add up. This reminds us of another reason why we love Surfshark: it offers generous student discounts. Purchasing a VPN subscription is a good idea if you’re a student, and Surfshark is a great VPN for school.
Aside from protecting you from the insecure public Wi-Fi networks across campus, a VPN will allow you to bypass location-based pricing when you shop online, which could help you save money on books and back-to-school clothes. Plus, if you plan on studying abroad, Surfshark will allow you to access sites some other countries block, such as Wikipedia.
But we get it; between tuition and textbooks, most college students don’t have a pile of money lying around to spend on a VPN, which is why Surfshark offers 20 percent off through Student Beans. With that discount, the prices will look like so:
|Months in contract||Monthly cost||Total amount billed|
Again, for those on a tight budget, your best bet is to sign up for two years and pay only $1.99 a month for Surfshark. We wish we were still students so we could take advantage of this discount!
But even though we’re no longer students, we still got to enjoy discounted prices. Surfshark is one of the most active VPN companies when it comes to promotions; for instance, last time we reviewed Surfshark, it was offering three months of VPN use for free if we signed up for two years. We could have paid $59.76, the regular price of the two-year subscription, and gotten 27 months of Surfshark VPN. That’s equivalent to only $2.21 a month.
We’re always interested in freebies, which is why we took advantage of Surfshark’s referral program.
|Number of invited friends||Number of free months|
Here’s how it worked: first, we told all our friends and family about Surfshark and sent them referral links, which were easy to access in our app’s settings under Earn Free Months. If anyone signed up for more than 30 days and used Surfshark via a Windows, iOS, or Android app, we received free months of its VPN, which ranged anywhere from just a month all the way up to a year.
NOTE: In order to receive rewards, the referral must be a completely new customer to Surfshark. Also, you’ll need an active Surfshark subscription to refer friends; you can’t use the referral link on its own.
Before you test out any VPN, we recommend checking its list of servers to find one near you. The distance between the user and the server can greatly affect the internet connection speed, so make sure Surfshark has a server in your area:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- North Macedonia
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- South Korea
- The Netherlands
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States
Will My Device Work With Surfshark?
Another thing to check before you purchase a Surfshark subscription is the devices compatible with its VPN software. However, it’s highly unlikely that your device won’t work with Surfshark, as it’s compatible with all of the most popular consumer electronics brands like:
- Apple TV
- Fire TV
- Samsung TV
Just because we like a VPN doesn’t mean it’s worth it, especially if the price isn’t right. However, Surfshark made our investment well worth it, with prices starting at just $2.49 a month or less with its generous student discount.
Still unsure? Try out Surfshark for seven days with no risk; you won’t even have to put a credit card down. And if you do decide to get a paid subscription, you’ll get 30 more days to test Surfshark or get your entire money back.
Not to brag, but we’re experts on Surfshark, and dozens of other VPNs to boot. But let’s focus on Surfshark, specifically the questions we get asked the most.
Is the Surfshark VPN any good?
The Surfshark VPN is good in terms of fast speeds, security, and overall performance. Based in the British Virgin Islands, the federal government can’t legally force Surfshark to hand over customer data, and it has a strict logging policy to boot. It will never log our web activity or traffic when connected to its server, which completely encrypts our web traffic and private IP addresses on an unlimited number of devices.
How much does Surfshark cost?
Surfshark costs between $2.49 and $12.49 per month, depending on the length of the subscription.
Months in contract Monthly cost Total amount billed Annual price after the first billing period 24 $2.49 $59.76 $59.76 6 $6.49 $38.94 $77.88 1 $12.95 $12.95 $155.40
Is Surfshark better than NordVPN?
Surfshark is better than NordVPN in terms of its pricing and GPS-changing features. But when we looked at Surfshark vs. NordVPN overall, we thought NordVPN was slightly better, especially when it came to the size of its server network and its iOS app.
How much does Surfshark cost after two years?
After the first two years, Surfshark will cost $59.76 per year, or $4.98 a month. Additional taxes may apply, depending on where you live.
IBM. (2019). Cost of a Data Breach Report.
Power Traffick. (2019). PPC Statistics and Trends.
Investopedia. (2020). Bitcoin vs. Credit Card Transactions: What's the Difference?